Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hooray for the internet!

Hello world, it's been a while. The day I made my last post also happened to be the last day I had access to the internet at my apartment. Unfortunately, problems like this aren't as easy to fix as they are in the good ol' U.S. of A. When the internet goes out at home I usually unplug the router and the modem and then plug them back in and voila, problem solved. Here, on the other hand, there is a lack of a modem. Instead, the router is plugged into a cable that runs through the apartment and out the balcony, where it disappears, never to be seen or heard from again. It is weird and convoluted, but oh well, enough venting. I only have this computer for one hour if I don't want to pay over 20 rupees (although double that charge would still be less than one dollar u.s.)

A couple of nights ago I went to an office party where my flatmates work. It's in Hi-Tech City, which is where all the big IT companies have headquarters. There is some really cool architecture out there. The party was to say farewell to a colleague who is leaving for the U.S. and it turns out that he is American and his wife is from Ann Arbor. After a week of only meeting two other compatriots it was quite an exciting shock to run into someone from the same state, let alone the same city! We talked for a while about the maize and blue which made me properly homesick. Luckily I was distracted by an intense dance circle that started up in front of me. I thought it was probably rare to see such extreme moves at an office party, but apparently that is the norm in India. People here are much less abashed about dancing than they are in the states. It helps that all the songs come from Indian movies that everyone watches. (Look for a video of part of this melee soon...if I can ever get internet on my own computer again.)

After the office "show" the party continued at one of Hyderbad's cooledt clubs, called Excess. This is a popular place because of the decor and the lighting, but also because it stays open until 4 and most, if not all, other clubs close by midnight. When we got there everyone was caught up in a cricket match that was about halfway over. As it turned out, the local team, the Deccan Chargers, were facing off in a sudden death semifinal round against the heavily favored Delhi Daredevils. I quickly received a crash course in cricket and watched with everyone else as the Chargers pulled off the upset. Everybody was super stoked and it has been the talk of the town ever since. Tonight, for the championship, Deccan will play the Bangalore Royal Challengers who also won in unexpected fashion. I'm looking forward to a good match. If the Chargers win maybe I can get a champions t-shirt.

Yesterday was Saturday, which meant it was time for AIESEC's weekly meeting. Everyone gathered at a local school to discuss business and socialize. I have quickly come to realize that AIESEC is a very close-knit group. It could be equated with some of the youth group meetings of my past, except much more professional. In one rather unanticipated turn of events I was called up to the front of the room. After talking the other day with Akhil, the president, it was decided that I will be the Party Delegate for AIESEC's upcoming weekend conference. Apparently I am tasked with bringing the American college party "scene" to Hyderabad. I plan on teaching everyone how to play beer pong, kings, quarters, etc. I will do my best to channel the spirit of Van Wilder. As a part of my Party Planner status I was also given the privilege of choosing my date to the "prom night". Five or six of the AIESEC girls were chosen to come to the front of the room and convince me why I should pick them. This turned into a talent contest of sorts in which I was danced with and sang to. It was a lot of fun, but now I have a very hard decision to make. I don't know how I will pick one girl since they were all so great. I hope I don't end up hurting anyone's feelings.

Well, that's all for now. I hope everyone is doing well and missing me terribly :) Good luck in Game 4 to the Wings (who got hosed by the refs with that call on Kronwall, but still almost pulled off the game). I hope they set things right this time so we can come back to the Joe to put it away. Peace from the far east!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like India's version of the Bachelor as seen on American TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should bring them all of them as your dates, I think you deserve an entourage. I am tuxed up and waiting to head over to the museum for my brothers wedding. In three hours I will be standing next to the Chupah in the hall of architecture. Hope to talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you were a little confused about the hockey game, my friend.

    ReplyDelete